Essential Oil Articles
Love the benefits of natural essential oils, and want to do something creative with it? Make everything from bath salts, homemade soap, lip balm to even wax candles. Make gifts for friends for any occasion, save money, or pamper yourself with your own homemade supply.
For each of these Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects make sure to select your oil carefully, so check out our guide to essential oil for more information on which oil works best for you. Be sure to store any of these creations in an airtight container.
Great Gift Ideas:
1. Bath Salts
- Combine 1 cup coarse sea salt, ½ cup Epsom salts, 2 ⅔ Tbsp baking soda in a large container.
- Add a few drops of essential oils and food coloring as desired.
2. Homemade Soap
- First step is to melt your soap bar base. You can use your favorite fragrance-free soap bar, or buy a glycerine melt-and-pour soap base from a crafts store. Next, cut or shave your soap into little pieces. Then, put into a glass container and microwave for half a minute at a time until you get a liquid base.
- Spray molds with oil for easy removal, and then pour liquid soap base. You can use specially made molds for soap from the crafts store or get creative and use ice cube or muffin trays.
- Add your essential oils and dye coloring as desired. Feel free to add things like flower petals or mint leafs.
3. Wax Candles
- Purchase paraffin wax and melt according to the instructions on the box. Add 5-10 drops for a small-sized candle, or 10-20 drops for a medium to large candle, depending on your preference. Also add dye drops for coloring as desired. Guidelines state that 30 drops per pound of wax is the maximum recommended amount.
- Pour into candle container making sure the wick stays above the top of the melted wax. You can purchase ready-made wicks and clips online or at your local craft store.
4. Lip Gloss
- Take a about a cup of vaseline and heat in the microwave, stirring every thirty seconds until it is at a liquid consistency or for about 7 minutes. The mixture will be hot so be sure to use oven mitts.
- Wait until the mixture cools down before adding food coloring, Kool-Aid, or Crystal Light for lip stain or omit coloring for a clear sheen. Once the crystals or mixture is dissolved add your essential oil.
- Mix thoroughly and then put into a clear travel-sized container. Label oil and flavor for your future references.
5. Lip Balm
- Take 2 tablespoon of beeswax pellets, 4 tablespoons of a carrier oil and melt in the microwave. Olive, sunflower, or coconut oil are popular choices for a carrier oil. Follow the last two steps for making lip gloss. Homemade lip balm will be of a thicker consistency so be sure to transfer it by pipette before it cools down.
Save Money with these Practical DIY Ideas:
6. Perfume or Cologne
- Add one drop of essential oil or more per ounce of base depending on your preference. You can buy a perfume base here.
- Create your own signature fragrance. Try blending contrasting scents like earthy and floral, or citrus and woody. Tangerine and sandalwood, or lavender and sage are two of my favorite gender-neutral scents.
7. Fabric Freshener and Gentle Cleanser
- Combine with water and vinegar for a strong cleaning solution.
- Add 10-20 drops of essential per gallon for a potent cleanser. Citrus, cedar, pine, eucalyptus, lavender, Thieves®, PurificationTM and cinnamon essential oils have great cleansing qualities.
- Use the following Young Living natural cleaning guide for more information.
8. Natural Bug Repellent
- Combine one drop each of lemongrass oil, a citrus-based oil, and eucalyptus oil with one teaspoon of carrier oil. Certain essential oils contain high levels of terpenes that naturally repel bugs, so feel free to add different oils to change the scent.
- Rub on skin and reapply as needed.
9. Skin Exfoliant
- Combine equal parts of honey, sugar, and carrier oil to create your exfoliating base.
- Add a few drops of your choice of Young Living's Essential Oil for each tablespoon of exfoliating base. Use our guide to find the best oils for your skincare regimen.
- For a relaxing facial, use cucumbers on eyes to reduce puffiness, aloe vera to moisturize, and lemon juice for additional exfoliating and toner qualities.
- Note: This formula is safe to use on the face, but use caution when using certain oils that may cause irritations in sensitive individuals.
- Skip the five-ten minute teabag soak and get instant, concentrated flavor and reap the natural benefits. Add one drop at a time to hot or warm water until you get your desired strength.
- Try lemon tea in the morning, or peppermint tea after a meal.
These essential oils and blends are just what you need to stock your cabinet full of Young Living goodness, without breaking the bank. Packed with therapeutic-grade pure essential oils, made exclusively with Young Living's Seed-to-Seal process, you know you're getting top quality products at an amazing price.Our Top 20 Essential Oils & Blends for Under $20: Lemongrass [...]
Here at living-essential-oils.com, we have come up with a list of some of the most popular, as well as some of the often overlooked, essential oil treasures of Young Living’s essential oil singles and blends. Some of these can be found in collections including The Everyday Oils Essential Collection*, and the Raindrop Collection** which have [...]
Using Young Living Essential Oils, Diffusers and Massage Oils can turn any environment into a peaceful, positive and relaxing area; be it at work, social gathering, or especially at home. Creating an uplifting vibe in any room is as easy as using your favorite oil in a diffuser to aromatically spread the inspirative aroma.Or, take relaxation to an entirely [...]
Know What Works for Your Body Mary Young, newly appointed Chief Executive Officer of Young Living, recently provided us with some really good guidance on choosing essential oils. She shared that an individual asked her for a recommendation or solution in treating a medical problem. She told them, "Firstly, I'm not a doctor. And secondly, I don't [...]
Flip flops in the streets, crowds of children out of school, and lines at water parks can only mean one thing: Summer has officially begun. Barbecues, picnics, and family get-togethers are in full throttle. When firing up the grills, infuse your favorite dishes and cuisine with these essential oils to put a healthy twist on [...]
Thieves® Essential Oil is one of the most popular botanical formulas to date, and it owes its existence to the medieval story of the four thieves. Using traditional ingredients like rosemary, clove, lemon, cinnamon and eucalyptus oil, Young Living TM has created their own potent version of this legendary tonic. It has been specially formulated to [...]
When life gives you lemons don’t just make lemonade-- try making a grease-cutting cleaner, a refreshing insect repellant or any number of creative uses for citrus essential oils. You may already know of the many health perks of citrus fruits, however people often overlook the powerful benefits of the essential oil found in the peel [...]
Well known for its refreshing scent and natural beauty, lavender has been used by royalty and common man alike for millennia. However its lesser-known benefits are what that makes lavender essential oil a must-have for everyone’s household. From the beginning of written history, people have been using lavender for many amazing uses other than its aroma [...]
Essential oils are very concentrated extractions from plants. They are very effective and powerful, so its critical to utilize them sparingly. Young Living Essential Oils are a therapeutic-grade, so you can trust they are the purest, highest-grade essential oil you can find. And that's important if you're utilizing oils while you're pregnant. Essential oils contain highly-concentrated plant [...]